Urban connections gay speed dating
Urban connections gay speed dating - jamie borthwick dating danielle harold
It changed from being the name of a small manorial borough in the 13th century, through several incarnations, to being the name attached to the present metropolitan borough.
When the county council was abolished in 1986, the city council absorbed its functions, and some powers passed to organisations such as the West Yorkshire Passenger Transport Authority.
On 1 April 1925, the parish of Leeds was expanded to cover the whole borough.
The county borough was abolished on 1 April 1974, and its former area was combined with that of the municipal boroughs of Morley and Pudsey; the urban districts of Aireborough, Horsforth, Otley, Garforth and Rothwell; and parts of the rural districts of Tadcaster, Wetherby, and Wharfedale.
The borough corporation was reformed under the provisions of Municipal Corporations Act 1835.
Leeds Borough Police force was formed in 1836, and Leeds Town Hall was completed by the corporation in 1858.
Its assigned role in the Leeds City Region partnership recognises the city's importance to regional economic development, and the second phase of High Speed 2 plans to connect Leeds to London via East Midlands Hub and Sheffield Meadowhall.
Bede states in the fourteenth chapter of his Ecclesiastical History, in a discussion of an altar surviving from a church erected by Edwin of Northumbria, that it is located in ...regione quae vocatur Loidis (Latin, "the region which is called Loidis").
Decline in manufacturing during the 1930s was temporarily reversed by a switch to producing military uniforms and munitions during World War II.
However, by the 1970s, the clothing industry was in irreversible decline, facing cheap foreign competition.
Historically in Yorkshire's West Riding, Leeds can be traced to the 5th century name for a wooded area of the Kingdom of Elmet.
The name has been applied to many administrative entities over the centuries.
From 1988 two run-down and derelict areas close to the city centre were designated for regeneration and became the responsibility of Leeds Development Corporation, outside the planning remit of the city council.